Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Journal #3


Through my work with Project Icarus, I decided to adjust my essential question.  As I went deeper into my project, I realized that I wanted to know how it was possible to get a student to understand a concept, especially in math, since as a student, I know that not all student’s minds “click” with numbers and equations.  After speaking with my peers and fellow classmates, I realized that some techniques, no matter how many times you attempt to explain it, would never make sense.  After hearing that and talking with Mr. Mukina, I learned that I, as the “mentor” should know of various techniques to solve equations, that way, if  the student doesn’t understand one technique, I can try to get through to them in another way.   Mr. Mukina explained to me that he’s learned that one the best ways to go about teaching a technique is to do an example, have the students do an example, then go through a class “stretch” (or more difficult) problem.   After analyzing his advice further, I realized that I would be working more one-on-one with the students as I would be tutoring, as opposed to teaching an entire class.  To fully understand how students feel they learned best, I asked a few students for their opinions.  For example, when I asked Kimi Crabtree, an 8th grade student at Punahou School, she replied that she likes it when she can learn techniques along the way, so that she doesn't go in the wrong direction.  Kristen Kunimura, a sophomore at Moanlua High School, agrees as well.  She said, “I would rather be able to ask questions along the way.”  So, while I am planning to incorporate Mr. Mukina’s advice and methods, I also plan to alter them based on what I have learned while asking students what works best for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment